The 2005 vintage was characterized by a long perfect growing season without temperature extremes which allowed long hang time to develop full physiologic ripeness of the grapes. The 2005 Proprietary Red is at once elegant, rich and powerful. Brilliant purple in color, aromas of wildflower and rose oil deepen as the wine opens. Flavors of cassis, huckleberry and tar are accented by notes of smoked meats and cardamom. Polished, fine-grained tannins are supple and silky. The multi-layered finish relaxes and evolves with time, indicating age-worthiness
- Alcohol by Volume: 14.8%
- Appellation: Eastern Slope of Atlas Peak, Napa Valley, California
- Varietal: 97% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 1 % Petit Verdot
- Vintage: 2005
- Located on the Eastern slope of Atlas Peak, Erba Mountainside Vineyard typically receives early morning and mid afternoon sun. The soils are volcanic and porous enabling the heat to radiate. Cooling breezes typically rush through the mountains at times taking the temperature down 30° F by late afternoon. The temperature change is vital to maintain acid structure in the grapes. Planted to all five Bordeaux varietals as well as Syrah, the Erba Mountainside Vineyard team has been blessed with a 'next to perfect' setting nestled well above the fog line. The vineyard is a twenty acre parcel consisting of fourteen blocks. Each row receives abundant sunshine through the early morning and mid-day, followed by forgiving Westerly breezes and cooling shade in the afternoon. To put it simply, each acre of Erba Mountainside wines consistently display a dark and richly complex, site specific character that you would only expect from the most seasoned wines. It all begins in that 'next to perfect' setting.
- Production: 500 cases
- Drink: Now-30 yrs
Kristof Anderson has been making wine in the Napa Valley since 1992. Former winemaker at Lewis Cellars and in years prior, the protégé of consultant Nils Venge, (Saddleback/Venge/Del Dotto/PlumpJack/Carter Cellars) his time has been well spent honing the skills required of an accomplished craftsman. Additional experience from working at ETS Wine Labs in St. Helena combined with cellar time at Pine Ridge and Grgich Hills provide a well rounded and balanced background. He has been making the wines at Erba Mountainside Vineyards since 2003. He was assistant winemaker for Nils Venge at Saddleback until 2001 and made the 2002 Lewis wines. He also makes wines for Garguilo and has his own label Pella. He has been very active in managing the vineyard throughout the growing season and in making harvest decisions. All wines are made from the estate grapes. 2003 was the first commercial vintage for Erba Mountainside Vineyards. We are very enthusiastic about the quality of the new releases of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah to be released in 2006.
- Crispy Duck
- 95 Points Robert Parker
- Richer and more compelling, the 2005 Proprietary Red is the most powerful of the wines. Opaque purple color, with a beautiful nose of forest floor, licorice, creme de casis and cedar wood, the wine hits the palate with a thunderous richness, but beautiful balance, purity and density. Long on the finish, it goes on for 40+ seconds. This stunner and another sleeper of the vintage from Erba. Approachable now, this wine promises to get even better over the next 5-7 years and can last 25-30. eRobertParker.com #219 (Jun 2015)
- 95 Points Planet Grape’s Master Sommelier Catherine Fallis, aka grape goddess®
- Complex and exotic with notes of raspberry preserve, blueberry, rhubarb, cherry cobbler, cherry lozenge, sundried tomato, Bloody Mary, celery seed, wood shavings, sandalwood, cedar-lined trunk, cigar box and white chocolate. It is full, round, powerful, bold, and dark, with brambly, juicy fruit, a soft, supple texture, and a long, deeply fruity and cedary finish. It is beautifully balanced, evolved, and ready to enjoy now. 95 points
- 95 Points “Sommelier to the Stars” Christopher Sawyer, @sawyersommelier
- With all the hype of big brands from Napa Valley, it’s so nice when you come across one of the more exclusive small brands with a signature style which sets them apart from all the rest. As an extra bonus, it’s even better when the wines are aged in their private cellar and ready to drink when you open the bottle. The latest case in point is the Erba 2005 Proprietary Red Wine, an elegant Bordeaux-style blend made by proprietors Paul and Debbie Erba and talented winemaker Kristof Nils Anderson. Made with 97% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 1 % Petit Verdot all grown on the Erba’s high elevation property overlooking Napa Valley; this wine is seamless from the minute it’s poured in the glass. With a lovely dark purple hue, the wine features attractive aromas of ripe dark fruits, fresh violets, milk chocolate, and cigar box. On the palate, the flavors are concentrated, with dazzling notes of black raspberry, sweet cherry, plum, cassis, licorice, mineral, and a subtle hint of smoke. The texture is rich with supple tannins, and a long, rewarding finish. Think of it as memories in the making and a great wine to share with special friends and family. For food pairings, try this wine with seared Ahi tuna with espresso rub, roasted chicken, duck breast, rib eye steak, rack of lamb, a selection of hard cheeses, or chocolate desserts with fresh berries. Score: 95 points