The 2013 Sun is comprised of Dijon clones, 667, 777 & 115, from two south-facing parcels with maximum sun exposure. Sandy loam soil lends drive and power, as it jumps from the glass with exuberant dark red and grounded black fruit. Sun always showcases the heart of Hilliard Bruce vineyard.
- Alcohol by Volume: 14.0%
- Appellation: Sta. Rita Hills, California
- Varietal: 100% Pinot Noir
- Vintage: 2012
- Hilliard Bruce is proud to be a certified sustainable vineyard through Sustainable in Practice (SIP). Sustainable vineyard practices are of utmost importance and is diligently managed by Julian Malone of Coastal Vineyard Care. Every effort is made to maintain the vineyard’s health and productivity, lessen environmental impact, conserve our natural resources, and minimize pollution. Our vineyards are cared for by hand and gently hand-harvested.
- Production: 250 cases
- Aging: 18 Months, 20% new French Oak
- Drink: Now-2022
Greg Brewer - Winery Director Having first met John and Christine upon their arrival to the appellation in 2002, Greg benefited from being associated with the vineyard development from its inception where he has always been drawn to their unwavering qualitative pursuit. Having initially started as a french instructor at UCSB, he has spent the entirety of his 25 year wine career in the Sta. Rita Hills. Established in 1996, Greg is also the winemaker for his eponymous label, Brewer-Clifton, which is similarly espoused to the appellation that he helped to map and establish in 1997 and which he has promoted around the globe ever since. “I feel privileged to now be working with the Hilliard Bruce team as I have admired every stage of the evolution and resultant wines set forth by John and Christine. I have worked with virtually every vineyard in the appellation and this property is unrivaled in its diversity, energy and potential to create something very special from the vineyard to the facility and through our collective outreach.”
- The richness immediately suggests dramatic lobster, crab or scallop dishes
- Wine Spectator, June 13, 2014 90 Points - Hilliard Bruce 2010 Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills Sun - "A charming style, offering subtle flavor nuances on a rich, full body, with black cherry, anise and light loamy earth notes. Ends with fine-grained tannins. Drink now through 2020. 600 cases made."-J.L.
- The Somm Journal, Aug/Sept 2014-"produce gorgeous wines, of concentrated fruit character backed by superb acid structure. They learned how to make wine from the Prince of Pinot, Paul Lato"